Pages

Tuesday 21 February 2012

Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Shadow Pencil Sin - Review and Swatch


I wasn't planning to do two review blogs of Urban Decay (UD) products back to back, but here we are. If you read my last blog on UD's Binge, you will know that I ranted and raved about how much I love that eye liner pencil. I am afraid I will not be extending the same love for this product. Top picture shows a swatch of the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Shadow Pencil in Sin on the left and MAC Bare Study Paint Pot swatch on the right. As you can see, "Sin" is more peach/pink but it doesn't show up that dark when applied on the eye, especially if you blend it. It is described as a champagne colour by UD. You can easily wear a gold or beige or creamy silver eye shadow over it and it will basically show up as whatever colour the eye shadow is, just slightly more vibrant and maybe a bit warmer. This product is $24 Cdn. and I believe it is $20 in the States. I actually own 3 other UD 24/7 Shadow Pencils but since my thoughts on each of them are not identical, I think I will do separate blogs on them. Also, I haven't tried one of them yet.....

When I was a teenager, I thought the best job in the world must be that of the person who gets to name makeup colours. Now that I am older and have been out in the world, I realize that the person who gets to name the makeup colours for any given brand probably has a host of other job responsibilities and life is just not that simple. Also, I bet there are committees or boards who likely vote on the names in some instances. All that aside, Urban Decay by far has the best names going in the makeup market. I am truly jealous of the person who gets to name their products. I am not sure where some of the names come from but.....I digress.

Back to "Sin". UD really missed the mark on this one. I am going to go out on a limb here and predict that these shadow pencils will be discontinued within the next year or the colour selection will be pared down to bare bones. The first time I ever used this pencil, the tip broke off. That was not a good omen and it left me very unimpressed. You can literally take this pencil to your eye lid and apply it, but if you need the edges blended, you better work fast. This one actually blends better than another of these pencils that I have, but it doesn't even come close to the blendability of a MAC paint pot. I will take my MAC Bare Study paint pot over this product any day. If you apply Sin to your bare eye lid and wear this product alone, it will crease like the dickens within half an hour, so that is not an option. You can wear it over an eyeshadow primer, but it looks kind of funny and cakey to me alone as it doesn't blend well. It really needs an eyeshadow over it. I find this product a bit dry. I guess that is so that it doesn't budge but that comes at the expense of low blendability. Personally, this colour is not unique and MAC's Bare Study Paint Pot does the same job as an eyeshadow base, only it does a much better job. There is no way I would buy another one of these. Luckily, I got a discount on it at Shoppers Drug Mart when I cashed in some points. You can also buy these at Sephora if you are interested. The only good thing I can suggest is to use it on your lower lash line as a smudged eye shadow to show off a little dark eye liner and add some interest to your look.

Rating: 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment