Pages

Thursday 10 July 2014

Too Faced Candy Bar Pop-Out Makeup Palette and Phone Case - Review and Swatches


I picked up this little palette recently from Sephora. It cost me $18 Canadian. It retails for $15 U.S. currently as it is on sale. The regular price was $30 Canadian and it is supposedly a $115 Canadian value. I think that it pushing it....

I took this directly from Sephora's website. You get in this palette:

This set contains:- 0.014 oz Eyeshadow x 9 in Vanilla, Medium Brown, Plum, Pink, Rose Gold, Moss, Silver, Dark Blue, Matte Brown
- 0.032 oz Eyeshadow in Matte Caramel, Peach
- 0.053 oz Blush in Coral
- 0.11 oz Matte Bronzer in Chocolate Soleil
- Detachable chocolate bar design iPhone 5 case




The iPhone case that comes with it is decorative only. I don't believe it would provide any real protection. I don't have an iPhone myself, so I just leave the case on the palette. The palette chipped on one corner the first time I touched it. This palette is super thin and lightweight. Super handy for travel or putting in your purse.



A lot of bloggers have said that they thought that the pigmentation of the eyeshadows in here is substandard. I personally don't think so. Most of these bloggers have compared this palette to the Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette which gets rave reviews. If that palette is as good as people say that maybe they have set the bar too high for this little mini palette. No pun intended. I own the Chocolate Bar palette but I am ashamed to report I have never cracked it open. Too much makeup, too little time. I will soon though.

 
 
I don't love the eyeshadows in this palette, but they aren't bad. The are decently pigmented and are long lasting. The formula of the shimmers is fairly creamy but I do find the matte shades are a bit chalky and dry. In particular, the two matte brown eyeshadows are hard to work with and the colour of both is not so great. The two big eyeshadows in Matte Caramel and Peach are not my faves either. The are both very warm shades and they make me look sickly. The Matte Caramel is very yellow and the Peach is just really unflattering. But before you dismiss the eyeshadows, some of them are quite good. Plum, Pink, Rose Gold and Dark Blue are quite nice. 
 
 
 
In addition, you get the cult favourite matte bronzer in Chocolate Soleil. This is one of my favourite bronzers. Hell, this palette is worth buying for the bronzer alone! The blush, Coral, is unique I think and pairs well with the bronzer. It's a colour most people could pull off. I think the Chocolate Soleil in this palette is not as pigmented as the full sized version, and it looks a tad lighter, but personally I don't mind as I prefer to build my bronzer slowly than to accidentally get heavy handed with a super pigmented bronzer. The same holds true for the blush, it is pigmented decently, but not crazily so. 
 
Overall for $18, this is a steal. I recently took this palette with me on an overnight business trip. It took up very little space in my makeup bag and was so light I almost wondered if I had remembered to pack it. This palette is perfect for a weekend away if you don't wish to carry much. Okay, on to the swatches!  Here are the first 7 eyeshadows from the top left hand corner of the palette to the first one from the 3rd row under two different lights.
 
 

Then here are the last 4 eyeshadows along with the bronzer and blush on the far right of my arm. See, the pigmentation is pretty good!

 
 
Packaging: 8/10  (props to Too Faced for making it so lightweight)
Pigmentation: 8/10
Easy to Work With: 7/10
Longevity: 8/10
Colour Stays True: 10/10
Texture: 7/10 (some are a little chalky)
Price: 10/10 (you get a lot for your money)
Ingredients: 6.510
Travel Worthy: 10/10
Attractiveness of Product: 7/10
Would I buy this again? Maybe (it was a good buy)
Overall Rating:  7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment