Pages

Sunday 29 September 2013

Makeup Geek Eyeshadows in White Lies, Mermaid and Poolside - Review and Swatches


This is it! Finally, I have tested out all of the Makeup Geek eyeshadows that I own and these three are the final ones that I have to review. As promised, I will do my list of the Best of Makeup Geek eyeshadows tomorrow and I may even do a Worst of and Best Bets by Colour blogs for you as well later in the week. If you have a suggestion or preference, please send me an email and/or leave a comment or response below.

So let's get to it. In the picture above we have from left to right, White Lies, Mermaid and Poolside. Swatches are pictured below in the same order. White Lies is supposed to be a dupe for MAC's Gesso. I don't own Gesso and never have so I can only comment on the "dupability" so much. White Lies, as is Gesso, is a matte white. I personally don't think that it is necessary to pay a lot of money for a matte white eyeshadow. I only use this colour as a brow highlight or tear duct accent. Occasionally, I will use it on the lid for a special or out of the ordinary look. MUG's White Lies is creamy, blends well and is not chalky. It is long last lasting and very smooth. Frankly, I have nothing negative to say about it. At $5.99, I cannot see myself splashing out $18 for Gesso. I can't imagine Gesso is that much better to justify paying the extra money given what I use it for.

Moving on to Mermaid. This was a pleasant surprise. It's described as a metallic teal with gold. I think it may be my favourite blue from the MUG line. It's very flattering on the lower lash line with a neutral eyeshadow look. I find the colour is smooth, creamy, long wearing and is easy to work with. I really like it. Mermaid is supposed to be a dupe for MAC's Parrot. I actually just recently acquired Parrot as it was a repromote out of the blue by MAC so I snatched it up while I could. I haven't even swatched it or worn it yet! I will have to compare it to Mermaid in a separate blog one of these days. Let me know if any of you are interested. No complaints here about Mermaid.


Finally, we have Poolside. Undoubtedly, this is the neatest looking blue that MUG has. When I wore it I was reminded of Urban Decay's 24/7 eyeliner in Electric. It is very similar and I would say a dupe. Poolside is described as a bright shimmery teal with specks of gold. Personally, I don't see the gold. Even when swatched. It is shimmery though but the shimmer is not gold more blue or silver. Poolside is supposed to be a dupe for MAC's Cool Heat which I do not own so I can't really comment on that. Poolside is a bit chalky and stiff to work with. The colour is pretty but I find it prettier in the pan than on my eye. Personally, I prefer Mermaid hands down. Also, Mermaid seems to be more long wearing than Poolside.

So that's it! Stay tuned for my Best of Makeup Geek eyeshadow list coming tomorrow! Hope you like it!

Packaging: 9/10 (compact looks a bit cheap but the pan refill is 10/10 of course)   
Pigmentation: 10/10 White Lies  10/10 Mermaid    9/10 Poolside
Easy to Work With: 10/10 White Lies  10/10 Mermaid    7/10 Poolside
Longevity: 10/10 White Lies  10/10 Mermaid    7/10 Poolside
Colour Stays True: 10/10 White Lies  10/10 Mermaid    8/10 Poolside
Texture: 10/10 White Lies  10/10 Mermaid    6/10 Poolside
Price: 10/10
Ingredients: 9/10
Travel Worthy: 10/10
Attractiveness of Product: 10/10 White Lies   10/10 Mermaid    7/10 Poolside
Overall Rating: 10/10 White Lies    10/10 Mermaid    7/10 Poolside
Would I buy this again? Yes White Lies and Mermaid, No to Poolside

No comments:

Post a Comment