Pages

Saturday 4 October 2014

tarte Rainforest After Dark Palette - Review, Pictures and Swatches


Today's blog review is on the tarte Rainforest After Dark Palette. It is described as a colored clay eye and cheek palette. The palette contains a blush, highlighter, bronzer and 6 eyeshadows. The highlighter and the bronzer are 0.14 oz. each or 4g each which is a good size. The blush is 6g or 0.21 oz. which is a full sized tarte blush which normally retails for $31 Canadian or $26 U.S. on it own! Each eyeshadow is 1g or 0.035 oz. (x6) which is quite satisfactory. I was shocked at the price of this palette - I thought it was a steal when you compare it to other palettes that are much smaller and go for the same amount of dough or more. It is $46 Canadian or $38 U.S.


I must confess that I almost didn't buy this palette. I usually like most tarte products but the reason I nearly gave this one a pass is because there is a snake on the cover of the packaging. Is that crazy? I hate snakes. I mean it. I have a serious, crippling fear of them. Always have, always will. I had a few scary encounters as a child with a few and I think I am scarred for life. Anyway, bloggers were raving about this palette, the price was good, so I picked it up and I am glad I did. This is a great palette for travel, the quality of the shadows, blush, highlighter and bronzer are fantastic. All of the colours work well together and give you a nice, classic, put together look.


Let's start with the blush. In this palette you get a full sized Amazonian clay blush in the colour Unleashed which is a peachy pink. This colour is phenomenal and I think most people could wear it. It goes amazingly with the bronzer in this palette. Unleashed is long wearing and very complimentary as I said to most skin tones. You can build it up as little or as much as you want. You could wear this colour in any season and pretty much with any outfit or makeup look.


On to the highlighter which is called Champagne. I will say that this is not my favourite highlighter in the world. It gets the job done but it is quite subtle, almost too subtle for my taste. It is universally flattering in colour I think. Personally, I have to build it up on my skin and I don't have that issue with most other highlighters.


Okay, let's talk about the bronzer. I already own this bronzer - Park Avenue Princess. I think I may actually own a few of these as they often come in various sets or palettes that tarte puts out. This is one of my favourite bronzers, if my not my favourite, period. The colour works well with my complexion and it has the most fabulous sheen to it. It's not over the top but it makes you look so healthy and glowy.  I am more than happy to have yet another one of these in my collection. If you like bronzer and even if you don't buy this palette, you have got to check out this bronzer.


Above are the swatches for the bronzer in Park Avenue Princess (top), the blush in Unleashed (middle) and the highlighter in Champagne (bottom).

There are six eyeshadows in Bare to Explore, Make a Mauve, Plum Away with Me, Up to Gold, Tan-gled up in You and Don't Turn A-Brown. My favourites of the group are Make a Mauve, Plum Away With Me, Up to No Gold and Don't Turn A-Brown.

Bare to Explore gets lost on my skin. It is a bit pink but it is still hard to see on me. I would have liked it better if it was more pigmented and maybe more of a satin than the matte that it is. Also, maybe it could have been a shade or two lighter for my taste.

Make a Mauve is gorgeous. I would wear this on it's own or it is a good crease blend out colour.

Plum Away with Me is also too die for. Very pigmented and a gorgeous colour that almost anyone could wear.

Up to Gold is really attractive, super shimmery, very creamy and can be worn on it's own.

Tan-gled up in You is not overly pigmented and also fades into my skin easily. I would have liked to have seen this colour be a bit darker. I think most people would have a hard time getting this eyeshadow to show up on them.

Finally, we have Don't Turn A-Brown. This is a nice, rich brown colour that reminds me of coffee. Very nice.

Overall, I like the eyeshadows. They work well together and they are long lasting. As mentioned, this is an excellent all in one palette for travel and I intend to use it for just that purpose!

Here are the eyeshadow swatches:


Left to right are Bare to Explore, Make a Mauve, Plum Away with Me, Up to Gold, Tan-gled up in You and Don't Turn A-Brown.

Packaging: 10/10  (nice, big mirror and good for travel) 
Pigmentation: 8/10
Easy to Work With: 10/10
Longevity: 8/10
Colour Stays True: 10/10
Texture: 8/10
Price: 10/10
Ingredients: 10/10
Travel Worthy: 10/10
Attractiveness of Product: 10/10
Would I buy this again? YES
Overall Rating:  9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment