Pages

Wednesday 15 October 2014

Algenist Complete Eye Renewal Balm - Review

I got a small jar of this awhile back from Sephora as part of a freebie or sample promotion. My jar is 0.23 oz. or 7ml. The full sized jar is 0.5 oz., so hey, I have almost half of a full sized version. Not too shabby. I would like to get the price chit chat out of the way now. It's $81 Canadian or $65 U.S. While I don't overly object to the price in U.S. dollars, I think $81 Canadian is quite steep. I have been using my little jar twice a day for several weeks now and I would say I have maybe 40% left in there. Before I get to my opinion of it, I will repeat Sephora's description of the product verbatim below:

What it is:
A balm for the eye area with the exclusive antiaging ingredient Alguronic Acid.

What it is formulated to do:
This rich yet lightweight balm hydrates and soothes the eye area to decrease puffiness and dark circles. The revolutionary microalgae-based ingredient Alguronic Acid fights visible signs of aging. It joins complementary active ingredients to deliver the appearance of renewal to the eye area.

What it is formulated WITHOUT:
- Parabens
- Sulfates
- Phthalates

What else you need to know:
While pursuing renewable energy solutions, a biotechnology laboratory in San Francisco unexpectedly discovered the powerful properties of Alguronic Acid, the bioactive compound available only in Algenist products.

Research results:
In comparison testing, Alguronic Acid outperformed other well-known active antiaging ingredients, demonstrating superior antiaging benefits. Average results measured following an in vitro test with Alguronic Acid:
- 55% increase in cellular regeneration
- 32% increase in elastin synthesis
- 26% decrease in melanin production

Following a self-assessment of 100 women, within 10 days of daily use:
- 86 % Felt skin density, suppleness, and elasticity was restored
- 93% Felt skin radiance appeared boosted

Within 4 weeks of daily use:
- Deep wrinkles appeared minimized in 78% of subjects.
- Skin appeared noticeably tightened and lifted in 81% of subjects.


Okay, on to my review. This eye balm has very little smell which I think is a good thing. A little of this product goes a long way. I find that it is quite soothing and my eyes sigh and say thank you whenever I apply it. It  hydrates, moisturizes and all of that good stuff. It works well under makeup and on its own at bedtime. It has helped to strengthen the skin under my eye which I need. I have only noticed that it helps my dark circles a little bit. It doesn't work well enough in that area for my taste. I find that my Origins Eye Doctor does a better job for, dare I say it, half of the price.

This is a good eye balm. For $81 though, I would not repurchase. I previously had a jar of the Algenist Overnight Restorative Cream and that was a good product. I would say that the Algenist product line, from my limited exposure, puts out some good stuff. Their prices are quite steep though I think when contrasted to comparable products. I am just glad that I got both of mine free from Sephora.

I am lucky to have no crow's feet nor any noticeable lines around my eyes. As a result, I am afraid I can't say if this product works well on wrinkles or lines in the eye area. I also don't have any bags so I can't really comment on those issues and whether this product works well on them or not.

Packaging: 7/10 
Easy to Work With: 10/10
Moisturizing: 10/10
Texture: 10/10
Gets Rid of Bags: don't know
Price: 2/10
Ingredients: 8/10
Quantity of Product: 7/10 
Travel Worthy: 10/10
Gets Rid of Dark Circles: 4/10 
Strengthens Under Eye Area: 9/10
Would I buy this again? No, because of the price and it doesn't do enough for my dark circles
 Overall Rating: 8/10

2 comments:

  1. There is a chance you qualify for a new government sponsored solar energy rebate program.
    Click here and discover if you qualify now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place.. Lasik Michigan

    ReplyDelete