Pages

Monday 28 March 2016

Clinique Soft-Pressed Powder Blusher 21 Plum Gorgeous - Review and Swatch




When I was in University I was into makeup, but nothing like I am into it today. The fact was that I was a lowly student and I didn't have the means to buy high end makeup let alone a ton of drug store stuff. I existed with a couple of Covergirl and Maybelline eyeshadow palettes along with some of L'OrĂ©al's finest mascaras and eyeliners. My lipstick was a collection of Clinique cast-offs that my mother didn't want from her gift with purchase (gwp) bags and a few Revlon ones I had bought here and there. I believe I owed one Covergirl blush at the time and I had bought one Clinique blush in Mocha Pink. I had used up a sample Mocha Pink one my Mom had as a gwp previously and I splurged an bought a full sized one.


Enough yabbing about this. My point is TiffanyD (the woman who gives me far too many makeup purchase ideas) bought this Clinique blush in Plum Gorgeous a few months ago and she said she wore it all through University and it brought back memories. She forgot how good it was. Her saying that brought me back to the memory of Mocha Pink. I even found that very blush in a box I had in my basement recently! I must have been saving it for the sake of nostalgia as it is plenty old now!





So fast forward, I picked up Plum Gorgeous a couple of months back. I forgot how nice Clinique blushes are in terms of how they look on the skin. I really don't think the formula of these has changed in 20-30 years, The formula is still stiff and dry. Not nice to the touch. I remember them feeling this way when I used to poke into my mom's makeup as a child. The packaging has not changed. My old Mocha Pink looks identical to this packaging and I dare not say how old that blush is. All of this being said, Plum Gorgeous sure is a nice colour. It's on the sheer side of things, but it gives a nice touch of colour to the cheeks and it is buildable. It goes with almost all makeup looks and I think most skin tones could wear it. It's a plum nude. Best way I can describe it. This blush may be best suited for those with cool tones in their skin.






I have been wearing this one quite a bit lately. I find it applies a little streakier than many other comparable blushes, but its easy to fix and doesn't bother me a ton. It is noticeable though. Just keeping it honest. I would buy another Clinique blush for sure, maybe give Mocha Pink another go. As far as colour goes, I think Clinique does an awesome job at blushes. As far as application, packaging and texture go, there are far better options on the market. This blush is $28 Canadian and $22 U.S. for 0.27 oz. or 7.6g which is generous. Considering what some blushes cost these days, the price is not all that crazy. My Mocha Pink never hit pan and I used that one compact on and off for years! It does have a big dent it though.

I do think Clinique needs to join us in the 21st century as far as their packaging goes, especially if they are charging $28. I suppose their newish Cheek Pops are that very attempt and they are good stuff! While the packaging of the Plum Gorgeous blusher is dated beyond belief, I find it nostalgic. Also, I think it's Clinique's way of thumbing their nose at the competition and that amuses me for some strange reason. In way I think, "good for them" kicking it old school and still turning a profit!
 

I have to say that although I am enjoying this blush, I recently mentioned that I have been loving The One blush by bareMinerals. The One is a far superior blush to Plum Gorgeous and every other blush in every way. If you only choose one, get The One, no pun intended. Plum Gorgeous is a unique colour in today's market though and I am not going to part with it anytime soon. Here is the swatch.




Packaging: 6/10  (points for nostalgia)
Pigmentation: 8/10
Easy to Work With: 6.5/10
Longevity: 7/10
Colour Stays True: 10/10
Texture: 4/10
Price: 7/10 
Ingredients: 7/10
Travel Worthy: 7/10 (I know damn well from experience that the latch will break sooner or later)
Attractiveness of Product: 9/10
Would I buy this again?  YES
Overall Rating: 7/10 but the colour is fabulous

No comments:

Post a Comment