Pages

Tuesday 11 February 2014

bareMinerals READY Eyeshadow 2.0 in The Top Shelf - Review and Swatches


For the most part I love the bareMinerals READY eye shadows. I don't have the patience for loose shadows most of the time and that is why I don't own a ton of pigments. They just aren't travel friendly and they make a mess. I picked up this set, The Top Shelf, shortly before Christmas during one of my V.I.B. hauls from Sephora. I got a nice discount of course. The two colours in here are Mixologist and Cognac. I own quite a few of the 4.0 palettes but this is the first 2.0 that I have purchased.


Both of the colours are smooth and creamy as are most of the bareMinerals READY eyeshadows. Normally, I like to evaluate each eye shadow in a palette based on its own merit. I tried wearing Mixologist on its own with some eyeliner and I was not in love. It applied easily enough, blended well and was smooth. It had a slight chalky look to it when I had it on. It didn't feel or look chalky swatched though. I am thinking that because it is such a light colour and because it is so pigmented, the chalkiness (if that is a word) may be a bit of an optical illusion on the eye.


So needless to say, I was a bit disappointed with Mixologist on its own. However, as soon as I wore the two colours together, it was bada bing! These two colours really compliment each other. They go perfectly together. As soon as you add Cognac into the look, Mixologist no longer looks chalky at all.
Frankly, the two of them together is a perfect put together look while using minimal effort to create it. I threw on some black gel liner on my top lash line and winged it out and it looked awesome! I am just sorry I didn't take a picture for you when I had it on the other day. Sorry guys!


Both eye shadows are super saturated and pigmented. I am sure you can tell which is which. When you wear both of these colours together, Mixologist no longer looks as light as it does in the swatch above. It blends in beautifully with Cognac and adds the perfect amount of "light" to add contrast to Cognac.


Here are some more swatches. I would definitely recommend this little palette. You could take this on vacation or overnight as these colours would go with just about any outfit. This is a no fail palette.
Mixologist is described as a champagne sheen and Cognac is described as a gilded bronze which I would say is accurate. This palette is $25 Canadian and $20 U.S. I got 20% off of mine at the Sephora sale but I think it is worth the money full price or otherwise.

Packaging: 10/10 (cute and compact)
Pigmentation: 10/10
Easy to Work With: 10/10 
Longevity: 10/10
Texture: 10/10
Price: 8.5/10
Ingredients: 10/10
Travel Worthy: 10/10
Attractiveness of Product: 10/10
Would I buy this again? Hell Yes
Overall Rating: 10/10 this is a solid buy

No comments:

Post a Comment