Pages

Wednesday 27 April 2016

Makeup Geek MUG Folied Eyeshadows in High Wire and Charmed - Review and Swatched


I'm back with some Makeup Geek Foiled Eyeshadow reviews. Today, we are going to talk about High Wire, pictured on the left, and Charmed which is on the right above. Normally, these are $10 U.S., but I believe I got Charmed on sale for a few bucks less. Each foiled shadow is 1.8g or 0.064 oz. Where to start? Well the formula of these foiled shadows is very creamy and soft so expect a bit of fallout. Doesn't bother me personally.

High Wire is described as a medium silver with a subtle blue undertone. I actually detect a purple undertone myself. While this may be labelled as more of a cool silver than a warm one, I find that it is a bit on the neutral side and would likely look good on most people. While I find this colour to be fabulous and versatile, the longevity on this shadow is not the greatest. I find within 2 hours it is fading on my lid and within 4 hours it is a whisper of its former self. That is with eyeshadow primer and a cream eyeshadow base underneath it by the way. I do wonder if it would have better staying power over a glitter glue or if I used MAC's Fix + on it. I'll try both and get back to you.

Charmed is described as a muted silvery light olive with taupe undertones and a foiled finish. I have to say that Charmed looks gorgeous in the pan and in the pictures on Makeup Geek's website. I was expecting exactly what they describe it as - silvery olive with taupe undertones. The taupe undertones are barely detectable when it's on your eyelid. I was expecting the taupe undertones to give this shadow a more sophisticated, muted effect. On my eyelids, Charmed looks straight up mint! Nothing like the swatch below nor what it looks like in the pan. I was very disappointed with the actual colour and it looks so gorgeous in the pan too! What a shame. I found Charmed wore longer than High Wire, it was a few hours before it started to fade but like High Wire, I don't find it lasted long enough for my taste. I will have to try to glitter glue and/or Fix +. Please let me know if any of you have tried these other methods and how it turned out.

I have to say that the price of these are awesome and no one else is offering a product like this for this price on the market to my knowledge. If you can just get them to stay on your lid and not melt off, you are golden. Maybe those with drier lids might have more luck than I.


Swatches are below with High Wire on the left and Charmed on the right.





Packaging: 10/10   
Pigmentation: 10/10
Easy to Work With: 9/10
Longevity: 5/10
Colour Stays True: 10/10 once on yes but Charmed is a different colour on than in the pan
Texture: 10/10
Price: 10/10  can't beat it
Ingredients: 10/10
Travel Worthy: 10/10
Attractiveness of Product: 10/10 High Wire and 6/10 Charmed when fresh on lid - 4/10 upon fading
Would I buy this again? YES High Wire if I can find a better way to keep it on and NO Charmed
Overall Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment