Pages

Tuesday 27 January 2015

Make Up For Ever Artist Eye Shadow in M530 Eggshell, S516 Sand and I544 Pink Granite - Review, Dupes and Swatches

 

Just after Christmas I picked up the Make Up For Ever Studio Case from Sephora. It was on sale which sealed the deal for me. It was $45 Canadian and then I got another 20% off. It was originally $59.50 U.S. so I really scored. Up until this point, I had never owned any Make Up For Ever (MUFE) eyeshadows. Since they recently reformulated them, I figured now was my chance to pounce. Since this palette is no longer available, I don't see much point in reviewing it as a whole. However, since the eyeshadows in it are still in the Make Up For Ever regular (hopefully permanent line) I felt they deserved to be reviewed.

Oh one final word on this discontinued palette before I move on. The eyeshadows that got in this palette are 0.024 oz. each. They are about the size of a dime. Very small. The full sized versions are 0.07 oz. or 2 g. A MAC eyeshadow is 1.3g so you are getting close to 50% more with the MUFE eyeshadows. That being said, the MUFE eyeshadows are substantially pricier than MAC's eyeshadow refill pans with the MUFE eyeshadows coming in at $21 U.S. or $24 Canadian with no case or compact. The case is an extra $1 U.S. and Canadian, but if you buy 2 or 3 eyeshadows plus the case from Sephora they end up getting discounted a good deal. When you buy 3 for example, you basically are paying for 2 and get one free. So I definitely recommend buying these in 2's or 3's to get the most bang for your buck. I have 3 on order as I type...

Okay enough background stuff. So the first eyeshadow I have here is M530 Eggshell. It makes a good brow highlight and an inner corner brightener. The colour is not the brightest of its kind on the market, but it does a good job. The consistency is smooth and silky. Blends ridiculously well. I would say it's a dupe for a mix of MAC's Mylar and Blanc Type together or perhaps Urban Decay's Virgin. M530 is nice for sure, but I wouldn't rush out to buy it. You likely have another equally good colour in your stash if you are a makeup whore like me. The M in M530 stands for Matte by the way.

S516 Sand is an interesting eyeshadow. I don't say that because I love it, I say that because it's an enigma. When I first applied this colour to my lid, I was unimpressed. It blended well, had really good pigment, but it was so blah! Boring, forgettable! As soon as I blended I544 Pink Granite into my crease with it on my lid, it was like it all suddenly made sense. For some crazy reason, these two colours go together like salt and pepper. Estee Lauder is famous in my book for pulling this stunt. They put out an eyeshadow in a duo or quad etc. and alone the colour is nothing exciting. Put it together with the rest of the palette and all of the colours look awesome together. Like they were meant to only be worn together. I can't think of a dupe for S516 Sand per se. It's like a thick, more creamy, heavier version of MAC's Bisque with a Satin twist but doesn't look as good as Bisque does on it's own. S in S516 stands for Satin.

I544 Pink Granite is a gorgeous colour. I would definitely consider repurchasing this oner. It immediately reminded me of MAC's Trax, only I544 is more pink. It is super attractive and blends like a dream. It is like butter, without the grease of course. Pink Granite is easier to work with than Trax, however, Trax is not exactly hard to work with! This colour is so easy to blend it takes no time at all! It is extremely pigmented so you don't need much per application. In my swatch it looks a bit brown, but is it less so in real life. The I in I544 stands for Iridescent.

Okay, swatch time! From left to right is M530 Eggshell, S516 Sand and I544 Pink Granite. As you can see, S516 Sand barely shows up as it is close to skin colour and it doesn't stand out as anything special on it's own.

If you haven't done so already, you should check out these MUFE eyeshadows. They are neat and are currently my eyeshadow obsession.


Packaging: 9/10 for the Studio Case I have. Individual full sized shadow rating to follow.    
Pigmentation: 9/10
Easy to Work With: 10/10
Longevity: 9/10
Colour Stays True: 9/10
Texture: 10/10
Price: 10/10 for the Studio Case. 7/10 for the individual shadows.
Ingredients: 8/10
Travel Worthy: 2/10 Studio Case (it's bulky as hell). Individual full sized shadow rating to follow.
Attractiveness of Product: 10/10 
Would I buy this again?  M530 Eggshell and S516 Sand - No
                                         I544 Pink Granite - Yes
Overall Rating:  8.5/10 (price is the only real thing dragging the score down)

No comments:

Post a Comment