Pages

Tuesday 25 August 2015

Skin MD Shielding Lotion - Review


Like the perfect face wash and face powder brush, I am also obsessed with my never ending search for the perfect skin lotion or cream. Tiffany D used to rave about this product so I decided to give it a shot. I cannot find it for sale in Canada anywhere. If any of you know where I can buy it, either here in Canada or in the U.S., please leave a comment below. I have gone to some of the stores in New York state that Skin MD says sells this product and they don't have it. In fact, most of the store clerks and pharmacists at Walgreens and CVS have never heard of it. I ended up ordering two bottles online. Once I paid the exchange and shipping, it seemed like a waste to only buy one so I got two bottles. I am still on my first one. A 4 oz. bottle is $18 U.S. and an 8oz. bottle is $27 U.S. online. If you sniff around, some health food store sites sell it for a little less in the U.S.

You can also purchase this product with an SPF for a little more money if you are into that. This product doesn't do what I expected. I bought it in the hopes that it would deeply moisturize and penetrate my skin in winter. When I use it as a dry skin lotion, I don't feel it does much. If I use it on my hands, I don't find the feeling comfortable at all . Needless to say, I struggled for the longest time figuring out just what exactly this product did!

I was in Italy a month ago and they were in the midst of a serious heat wave. I got some mega sun and although I didn't burn (thank you sunscreen), my skin started to get mini blisters which it does when my skin gets overheated. It's like a cooking chicken skin I tell you. My skin was irritated when I got back from my trip. I busted out a host of pricey, tried and true creams and lotions. Nothing would soothe my skin. I put on the Skin MD out of randomness and my skin felt better within the hour. My blisters were gone by the next morning and haven't returned. My skin was soothed and no longer irritated. The light bulb went on. The penny dropped.

I then got a few mosquito bites (damn Canadian outdoors) and put some of this on. Guess what? Bites no longer itched within the hour and could not be seen the next day. The point is, this product soothes irritated, sensitive skin. I can see why if you had a rash or skin condition that this would be heaven sent. It does appear to create a barrier between your skin and further irritants or irritations.

Back in the winter, I did notice that it protected my skin against further dryness or new dryness, but it didn't really absorb the way I wanted it to. It is non-greasy and absorbs as much as it will, quite quickly. I don't get the hydrating aspect though really if you only have plain old dry skin.

I think I am rambling. Bottom line is try this if you have fussy, sensitive skin that reacts easily. If you are only looking for a hydrating skin cream, pass. To me this is more of a medicinal cream than a daily use one. I hope my review helps!

Packaging: 10/10
Longevity: 8/10 (results last but you do need to reapply a couple of times a day)
Texture: 8/10 (feels weird)
Price: 10/10 (not bad for what it is)
Ingredients: 9/10
Problem Skin Fixer: 10/10
Moisturizing: 6/10
Travel Worthy: Yes
Would I buy this again? Yes
Overall Rating: 5/10 as a dry skin cream 9/10 as a medicinal cream

No comments:

Post a Comment