Pages

Sunday 27 October 2013

Smashbox Eyeshadow in Vanilla - Review and Swatch



Sorry I have been M.I.A. all week! I was getting over the flu earlier in the week and then I had to go away for work for day, then I was busy booking a vacation and then I had some company come over yesterday. I've been busy! I promise you though that I am back in action and will be doing a number of blog posts this week.

I really like Smashbox eyeshadows, but I don't own many. Why, I don't know! Smashbox briefly sold single eyeshadows but they stopped doing that awhile ago. I was lucky enough to pick some of them up on the cheap when they were phasing them out. Shoppers Drug Mart here in Canada had them briefly. I actually got the one I am blogging about today at Winners for $7 a few months ago. Winners is like Marshalls or TJ Maxx for those who live in the U.S. In fact, I think they are all owned by the same company now....




Back to the task at hand. One thing I like about Smashbox eyeshadows is that they frequently use the same eyeshadow colours in their palettes. This single eyeshadow in Vanilla for example, can be found in some of their eyeshadow trios and larger palettes. So if you like a colour, you can get it in a few different formats or collections. Vanilla is described as a matte warm ivory. It is a bit yellow I find, more so than say MAC's Brule which is more beige. I really like Vanilla although it could be less yellow for my taste. I have been wearing it as an overall wash of colour on my lid lately for work. Throw on some eyeliner and mascara and you are out the door.

Vanilla is very pigmented and builds on the lid easily. It's a nice matte opaque colour. It lasts all day for me with just a bit of eyeshadow primer (to avoid creasing). If you wear a MAC Paint Pot under it such as Painterly or Soft Ochre, it looks even better, but it isn't totally necessary. The formula is soft and creamy. The single eyeshadow is 0.059 oz. or 1.7g. so it should last me a little while. Here is the swatch:


As you can see, for a such a light colour, it's really pigmented! This also works well as a brow highlight and as an inner corner eye brightener. The only con about this product is that I hate the screw top lid. It's a bit time consuming and annoying when you are in a rush.

Packaging: 6/10 (hate the screw top lid)     
Pigmentation: 10/10
Easy to Work With: 10/10
Longevity: 10/10
Colour Stays True: 10/10
Texture: 10/10
Price: ? (they did used to sell for close to $20 ouch before this format got discontinued but I got all of mine for a lot less)
Ingredients: 8/10
Travel Worthy: 10/10
Attractiveness of Product: 10/10
Overall Rating: 9.5/10
Would I buy this again? Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment