Pages

Tuesday 17 November 2015

ColourPop Super Shock Shadow in I Heart This and Smash - Review and Swatches


With all of this talk about ColourPop the last several months, curiousity got the better of me and I put in an order a few weeks back. I bought 4 Super Shock Shadows and 3 Ultra Matte Lip products. Today, I am going to review 2 of the Super Shock Shadows that I bought. Each one is $5 U.S. and contains 2.1g or 0.07 oz. of product. I got a discount for being a first time customer so my whole order came in at $38 U.S. before shipping. For 7 makeup products, that is phenomenal! Shipping to Canada for this order was $12 U.S.

First of all, the products came in a very nice box with a handwritten note. Everything was extremely well packaged. Kudos to ColourPop for that. The eyeshadows come with screw top pots. They feel very sturdy and are not cheap at all. I will bet that the ColourPop stamp on top of them will chip off in no time. The ones on my lip products are already practically gone! I personally prefer a flip top lid or a magnetic one for my eyeshadows, but hey the screw top is more secure, especially when travelling.


On the left we have I Heart This. On the right is Smash.

I Heart This is a straight up glitter bomb. My swatches below do no justice whatsoever. I don't own any pigment or glitter that is as vibrant nor as crazy as this. I would recommend saving this for New Year's Eve, clubbing or Halloween. Where was this when I was clubbing??? Those days for me are long gone my friends. Anyway, I had the nerve to actually wear this to the supermarket and to the movies on two separate days. I have little shame, but few people would be willing to rock this in broad daylight. I paired it with a dark purple eyeshadow in the out corner and it looked good! I Heart This is described as a cool-toned silvery taupe with multi-coloured glitter. Very accurate description I would say. Considering it is a glitter eyeshadow, I was surprised that the product was so comfortable to wear. It didn't feel the way some glitter eyeshadows do, scratchy or sticky, on the lid.

All of the posts and vlog reviews that I have seen on these eyeshadows say the best thing to do is tap them or swipe them on your lids with your fingers. That sounded like finger painting to me. Not really my speed. I can vouch after testing these that using the finger method (that sounds rude doesn't it?) is really the best way to use them. Even when I use a synthetic brush, the payoff on my lids pales in comparison. It's really the finger or bust. Well, you know what I mean.


On the left is Smash and on the right is I Heart This.

I would say that I Heart This is a great product to use if you want to dress up any eye look and transform it into full on party mode. I wore this one day for 12 hours and the glitter did not budge, crease or fade in any way, shape or form. I did use an eyeshadow primer and a flesh coloured eyeshadow base under it. It was literally tap and go. These Super Shock Shadows would be great for travel, because you don't need to pack a brush. Personally, I am not crazy about finger tapping my eyeshadow on in general as there is only so much you can do with that - an all over wash of colour or as an accent on top of your lid colour. For these eyeshadows though, I can make an exception. I feel as I though I would need to be very careful with any further Super Shock Shadow purchases though because if I was going to use the colour as a say a crease colour, these likely wouldn't work well for me.

On to Smash. I have no idea why I bought this shade. Does that ever happen to you??? You plot out a purchase very carefully and then you totally forgot why you chose a certain colour. Smash is described as a neutral medium warm beige with a soft golden satin finish. I agree with that. This colour is straight up dupe for Maybelline's Eye Studio Colour Tattoo Bad to the Bronze 25. This colour too wore well for over 16 hours, stayed vibrant etc. None of these shadows blend well so you can't get too fancy with them and use other shadows easily.

The consistency of them is odd. They are slightly gel-like and compress really easily when you touch them. Don't expect the design on the product itself to last. They remind me of the Maybelline Dream Bouncy Blushes. Wow, what is with the Maybelline comparisons....interesting. The ingredients in ColourPop shadows are much better than Maybelline though!!!!


As I said, the swatches do not do these colours justice, especially I Heart This which is on the left.

Overall, I think you would be hard pressed to find another eyeshadow on the market this high quality for $5 U.S. Makeup Geek ones are just a hair more, and they blend. Just saying. There is something unique about these ColourPop numbers. I may buy more, but I will need to be choosy. I'll get back to you on that.

Packaging: 9/10   
Pigmentation: 10/10 (if you use your finger)
Easy to Work With: 10/10 (if you use your finger) 2/10 (if you use a brush)
Longevity: 10/10
Colour Stays True: 10/10
Texture: 10/10
Price: 10/10 
Ingredients: 9/10
Travel Worthy: 10/10
Attractiveness of Product: 10/10
Would I buy this again? I think so yes
Overall Rating:  8/10*

*I would have given a full 10/10 if they were blendable and if you could use a brush to apply them properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment