Pages

Sunday 26 August 2018

Estee Lauder Double Wear Nude Water Fresh Makeup in 2C3 Fresco - Review


Okay so as some of you may know, Estee Lauder discontinued their Double Wear Light foundation a number of months ago. I snatched up what I could find on the market. I still have a few drops left in one tube. This has been my go-to foundation for several years and I was not very happy about it. I wore shade 2.0. Estee Lauder is scheduled to come out with a new version of Double Wear Light any minute now. I believe Ulta in the U.S. is already carrying it. Friends, I am nervous. There are very mixed reviews on the new version and some are very disheartening. All agree, it ain't the same stuff.

So while I suffer waiting to see if the new version is any good at all, an Estee Lauder rep recommended I try this - Estee Lauder Double Wear Nude Water Fresh Makeup. Right away I knew I was going to be disappointed because as soon as I hear the word "nude" I think coverage will be crap, but what is a girl to do? First things first. The shades do not match the regular Double Wear foundation even though the shade names are the same. Say what??? That's right. I wear 2N1 Desert Beige in the regular Double Wear line and in this line, the "Nude" line, it's way lighter. So I had to settle for 2C3 Fresco which is a tad too pink for my taste but the colour will match my skin well enough in a pinch. Disappointment #1.

The Estee Lauder rep warned me that this product is very watery, runny. Oh brother, here we go I thought. She didn't lie. Better apply it fast because it will make it's way down you face in a hurry otherwise. For whatever it is worth, the reviews online are not good and people seem to take particular exception to the wateriness of this product saying it's a hot mess to even keep the bottle clean whether they have a pump or not. However, I have had no issues keeping my bottle clean and I am not using a pump yet. Of course, I have been super careful with this bottle knowing the warnings. Disappointment #2.

Let's talk about the coverage. I knew immediately before I even put it on my face that I was not going to be happy with the coverage given the name and how watery it is. I would say this is a hair better than light coverage maybe even I could say light to medium coverage. For my taste, and given my botchy skin, this coverage isn't going to cut it. To my mind, Double Wear Light was medium coverage and that stuff stayed on all day! I will say that I made this stuff work as I took it on vacation to the Caribbean and man is it hot there in July. It did move around my face but if I wore a primer under it, that seemed to help immensely. That also helped with the coverage issue. I don't want to have to fuss so much though with my foundation to "make it work". At least it blends easily but it doesn't "stick" to the skin as much as I would like. It kind of floats on it. Disappointment #3.

This product has SPF 30. Was this good to have on vacation? Yes. Is it good for pictures? Hell no. Do I want SPF in my daily foundation? No. I am not an outdoorsy gal so sorry I don't need SPF in my daily skincare regime. Disappointment #4.

When I touch my face while wearing it, it comes off on my hand. Doesn't matter how many hours I've had it on. I hate that. I have to keep my hands from my face while I have this on. Disappointment #5.

Will I finish this bottle? Yes, because it cost a good chunk of change and I can use it here and there. It was $48 Canadian or it's $42 U.S. As a side note, I have gone and bought the regular Double Wear formula to use in the meantime until Double Wear Light resurfaces. The regular Double Wear is a bit too heavy and full coverage for my daily needs but I think if I mix it with some Estee Lauder BB cream, we may be ok.

In summary, Estee Lauder Double Wear Nude Water Fresh Makeup isn't as terrible as some people make it seem, you can make it work. I can understand the hate though. I will definitely not be repurchasing. I am a little mystified why Estee Lauder even has this on the market. There are so many boxes it doesn't tick. But hey, at least it's in glass. Estee Lauder normally make such solid products. This one is a bit of a dud.

Packaging: 10/10  (it's glass)  
Pigmentation: 6.5/10 
Easy to Work With: 5/10 
Longevity: 4/10 
Texture: 5/10 (watery) 
Price: 5/10 for what it is
Ingredients: 8/10 
Travel Worthy: 8.5/10 
Attractiveness of Product: 6/10
Would I buy this again? NO
Overall Rating: 6/10

1 comment:

  1. I have been using this foundation for a long time. Even after doing my make-up lesson London, I used so many brands to improve my skills, until now but I couldn't stop using this one. I did my makeup lesson from Lina. She is really talented, caring and attentive towards her all students. She helped me a lot to improve my skill.

    ReplyDelete